Thursday, September 23, 2010

Choose Your Battles

     One of the first pieces of advice I heard when I became a mother, and the advice I still hear most often, especially from my own mother and sisters, is "Choose Your Battles." What does that mean?
     Does it mean it's all right if my 3 year accompanies me to the grocery store in green/blue plaid pajama pants, a bright orange t-shirt, his sister's purple striped socks, and flipflops because I didn't want that battle this morning?  Hey, at least he got himself dressed.

                                                     

     Is it all right if the kids have peanut butter sandwiches for dinner because homework, bath time, my sanity, and actually getting something into their bellies were more important battles than trying to get them to eat the Chicken Taco Casserole I made for dinner and knew they wouldn't want anyway?
     One would argue it's plain laziness but I am beginning to believe choosing your battles is nothing more than claiming control over the chaotic lifestyle of motherhood.  In a way I am saying:  "Yes, I know your room looks like a pig sty but I am in control because I'm not going to say anything about it as long as the door stays closed.  But when it comes to keeping yourself clean, or disrespecting person or property, then I will step in and stand ready for the battle because that is the battle I would rather choose to fight and win."
    It took a long time for me to figure out the answer (and I'm still perfecting the skill).  I take a deep breath and decide if it's worth a battle or not and if I'm not ready or willing to follow through then I must leave it alone.  Am I alone in this thinking?  I don't think so.  I'm sure there are many mothers out there who feel the same, but there are also many who haven't received this great bit of advice.  So I say to everyone, some things matter and some things don't.  Choose your battles and decide which battles are most important for you to enter and win.

No comments: