I am finding that the older my children get the less I know. Before I had children I believed they were all the same, like robots. They talked the same way, they dressed the same way, they all liked the same things, especially those from the same family. They couldn't be that different if they came from the same set of parents, right? Wrong! Like I said, I am finding that the older my children get the more I realize I don't know very much.
There's Rebekah, my curious one. She reads, and reads, and then reads more because she wants to know everything. She is constantly asking questions and learning. She has stunned me many times with her knowledge and understanding. Any new concept you give her will be eaten up until she can't find anything else on the subject, and she doesn't forget a fact once she has read it. I learn something new about the world around us in every conversation we have together.
Then there is Sarinah, my born leader, she couldn't care less about the facts Rebekah spits out. Books and facts don't affect her as much as the relationships she has with those around her. She is a natural at making friends and caring for others. She has a strong sense of right and wrong and knows how things are supposed to be and what to do to get there. She still has to master the "bossy" part of leading and knowing when to follow but I find myself amazed at the love she shows everyone and the confidence she shows when she makes a decision and follows through with it.
Wesley's strength isn't in curiosity or relationships, instead he is my problem solver. He loves puzzles and board games. How many 5 year olds can sit down with a 100 piece puzzle and whip it out with no problem or beat you every time at Battleship? Is he ready for chess? I don't know, but when the day comes that he takes those problem solving skills and tackles life issues head on he is going to be unstoppable.
Briton is no less amazing than the rest of his sibling. He is my independent little man that doesn't let anything stand in his way. He has the confidence to do things himself, and if he doesn't know how to do it he will just keep trying and not let anything get him down. His independence gets to the point of annoyance at times. He is my baby, isn't he supposed to always need and want mom around? That too, I must admit, would not be the right way to go, but maybe for a little while longer he can be my baby and come around for snuggles again.
So how do I take someone who loves to learn and help them learn to teach? And how do I teach a leader to learn to follow and help her know that it's okay to let someone else be in charge sometimes? And how do I help a problem solver learn to move his skills from games and puzzles to every day life challenges? And how do I teach that independence is great when used within the given limits but not when disobeying rules to get what you want?
The older they get the more questions I have, and some people wonder why mothers don't sleep well...
1 comment:
Nice Blog, Hollie! I'll try to stop in and read it as often as I can. You do have some great kids! Love big sis #1
Post a Comment